Friday, December 4, 2009

Things I've Noticed: Advice on exploring TGWTG.com


Back in 2008 I found the Angry Video Game Nerd's review of the old Friday the 13th Game for the 8-Bit Nintendo. As a kid I had played and hated this bizarre little game so I was happy to see someone had put it to good use. Checking out the rest of the Nerd's videos I came across the Feud with the Nostalgia Critic and that brought me to one of my current favourite websites, thatguywiththeglasses.com.

Like most people, I enjoy sharing the funny stuff I find online, but, like most other people in the library professions, I try to help people in the most effective way I can. I'm going to assume that a new person coming to the site will begin with the Nostaliga Critic Reviews, the Bum Reviews, and the Ask That Guy with the Glasses videos. Which videos should a person go to after that? Here are my suggestions.

Bookmonkey's advice on exploring TGWTG.com

There are so many great reviewers on this site it is easy to become overwhelmed. At the rate of 3 or 4 videos a week over the last 2 years there are still reviewers I've only managed to see in one or two videos so far. When I'm asked by friends where to start however, it is almost always with one of these five reviews.

1. The Nostalgia Chick's review of She-Ra: Princess of Power
Like the rest of the reviews listed here, this is not the Nostalgia Chick's first review, but I think for a person new to the site, having seen the Nostalgia Critic's review of Masters of the Universe, this videos is simply comic gold focusing on fandom from a girls point of view, plus her shock at all the homo-erotic material in this kids movie was priceless.

2. Linkara's review of Superman at Earth's End
The reasons for my suggestion of this video are pretty simple, a) you actually see a "bad comic burn," b) You see the beginning of the "I AM A MAN!!!" bit, and c) I laughed so hard during this video I may have passed out for a minute.

3. Spoony's review of Yor the Hunter from the Future
The things about this video is that even though Spoony is quite well known for his Video Game reviews (my current favourite is FMV Hell: Make my Video), I love the fact that he reviewed this, because as a kid I was exposed to Yor, yes people, I am Bookmonkey, and a childhood survivor of Yor the Hunter from the future. This is a great place to start checking out Spoony's reviews.

4. Lee's review of Arcana Heart
Lee is probably my personal favourite reviewer from the site at the moment, simply because I love the genius behind the format of his videos, still photographs and an audio track. Very simple, definitely leaving me wanting more, and really, really funny. Arcana Heart was the first video of his I saw that went beyond the basic review format and had costuming and a skit aspect - very cool.

5. Little Miss Gamer's Review of Missile Command
Almost more like a television show, Little Miss Gamer tends to start with a skit and then move into the review proper. I actually found her by following the Angry Video Game Nerd, as I watched his Christmas Crossover video with Captain S and then started checking out the other videos available through PBC-Productions.

I cannot stress enough that these are just the tip of the iceberg on the site, I love so many of the reviews there I could go on for ages. If you want to start exploring the site past the main content however, I think all five of these videos are a great place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment