Sunday, November 11, 2012

Movie Review: Wreck It Ralph

To celebrate a great report card, I took my 15-year-old daughter out to see the new Disney film Wreck It Ralph today.

It was pretty great - the film feels pretty strongly like a mix of Shrek, Toy Story and Tron.  Our main character is the villainous Wreck It Ralph, a Donkey Kong-style character in a game called Fix-it Felix Jr..  In the game Ralph destroys a building, Felix fixes it and at the end of each level Ralph is thrown off the top of the building.

Being tired of always being the bad guy, Ralph decides to change his life, basically feeling that if he can't be a hero in his own game, he'll try to be one in another.

The film has many video game character cameos and used a lot of video game tropes as background to a story of seeking self-identity.

For me, the strongest part of the film was voice actor John C. Reilly who brings a wonderful sense of the sympathetic to what is, simply enough a two dimensional bad guy in a video game.

The film was a lot of fun, had great laughs and emotion throughout, and honestly reminds me why I can always count on a fun time with anything Disney produces.  I'm fairly confident it will end up on my DVD shelf.

Also a quick side note - the Disney short Paperman was, in my mind, such a sweet wonderful short it was easily worth the cost of the ticket all by itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment