Monday, September 17, 2018

Movie Review: The Predator

So yesterday I went to see the new Shane Black film The Predator with my youngest daughter and my friend Ron. The three of us kind of nicely represented a lot of the incoming audience; first, I had seen most of the franchise leading up the film (sorry AVP: Requiem) and had played the various video games, read the comics, etc., Ron came into the film having never seen any of the previous franchise films, but simply as a fan of Shane Black's work and my youngest daughter had seen the original film a few years back and thought the trailer looked fun.

The movie itself was a little bumpy; what worked really worked (fun quips, nice rag-tag team of predator-fighters, some pretty great action sequences), but I found a number of plot points were sort of left dangling (not willing to go into specifics due to spoilers) and in the end I have to say it attempts to out laugh and out violence the original and at one level succeeds, but at another simply shows that more isn't necessarily always better.

A fun film to watch in theatres, but not sure if it is one I would own (currently I only own the original 87 film).


No comments:

Post a Comment