Tuesday, October 13, 2009

You Owe it to Yourself #9: Attack your "I'll get around to it" pile


When it comes to gamers, readers, and viewers, we all have one; a pile of stuff that we are definitely going to get around to checking out, someday. For me it sits on the shelf next to my computer (pictured above), a collection of books I've put together over the last few years from used book stores, my local comic book store, and even from Amazon that although I haven't read yet, I promise myself I will definitely be reading pretty soon.

I've got other lists for movies and games as well; they exist on spreadsheets and includes classics, hard-to-find, and upcoming titles I am totally going to check out... sometime.

Now, just like all of you, I lead a pretty busy life - I'm a husband, a parent, a worker, a reader, a blogger (for the last two months - Horray!), a part-time university student, a BFF, and a guy trying to get on top of my weight. These things are all pretty big priorities to me, and sometimes they mean that I don't get around to checking out the stuff I want to get around to checking out.

In addiction, I'm also more than a little obsessed with working my way through lists of stuff (my latest two, lists from new friends on Facebook, give me a suggested reading order for the novels of Neville Shute and a list of Laurel and Hardy flicks to check out - I'm pretty excited about those actually), but even with my successes in that, I seem to constantly be adding to my collection of titles and lists of titles that I haven't checked out yet, but want to get around to soon.

So hears what I suggest, lets call this The Bookmonkey Challenge '09. Take a couple minutes today and go through your "I'll get around to it" pile. Pick one thing and try to check it out before Christmas - that's 75 days to read a book, watch a movie or play through a game you've been meaning to get around to.

As the guy who suggested it, and being pretty excited about the idea (pictured right) I'll try to do three (my picks - Novel - The Wolf's Hour, by Robert McCammon, Comic - Scott Pilgrim vs. the Universe, Brian Lee O'Halley, and DVD - Apocalypto, directed by Mel Gibson) We'll compare notes and Christmas and at the very least will have put a small dent in our "I'll get around to it" piles, because, after all, you owe it to yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment