Sunday, March 7, 2010

Movie Review: Alice in Wonderland

Yesterday I went to see Alice in Wonderland with my twelve-year-old daughter, a friend of hers, my mother and my younger brother. As with many twelve-year-olds, she decided that her Dad could sit in another part of the theatre. Oh well, my Mom still thinks I'm cool enough to sit with.

Anyway, regarding the movie itself - I had a pretty good time. First of all - yes, it is worth it to see the movie in 3D - the colour would be more brilliant in 2D, but the eye-popping visuals really helped make the film stand out for me.

The movie itself had a similar structure to the film Hook - wherein a popular story character returns to their magical realm after years in the real world and has to re-learn their way around the place they once knew.

I really enjoyed the actors in the film, Mia Wasikowska was great, but if you are actually interested in seeing her acting chops, check out the HBO series In Treatment - her performance in season one was fantastic. I liked the back story given for the Mad Hatter, and thought Johnny Depp had a stand out performance as well. My personal favourite casting was Matt Lucas as Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, being a fan of Little Britain, I loved seeing him every time he appeared on screen.

As a film, I actually liked this one a bit more than the Disney version, as the story made a little more sense, and had both direction and a moral. Kudoos to Tim Burton - I was a little nervous about this one when I heard about it, but in the end it was a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment