Monday, April 5, 2010

Movie Review: Clash of the Titans

Happy Easter Monday everyone, I just got back from taking my twelve-year-old daughter Kaia out to see the 2010 remake of Clash of the Titans and here's my opinion.

It was pretty fun! I went into this film looking for cool effects, a few nods to the original film and some fun fight sequences (a part of me is getting pretty tired of the massive army vs. massive army sequences that fill a lot of fantasy films these day - keep the fights down to 12 guys or less so I can see what's happening and I'm happy), and I felt I got what I was looking for.

The effects were great (we saw it in 2D rather than 3D), the acting and story line were fine for a Saturday afternoon matinee, the Medusa scene had me jumping in my seat a couple of times and in the end I think it was worth my $11 to see it in the theatres.

Problems with it - not a lot really, the earlier film was flawed but fun, so this movie didn't have a lot to beat - an effects-filled adventure flick from the '80s translates pretty well into an effects-filled adventure flick from 2010. I missed Bubo from the first film (pictured right), and I thought they downplayed the interactions between the gods in the remake, but past that I don't have a lot of complaints.

In the end, whether you've seen the original or not, I think there is a lot in the film to enjoy. I would watch it again, and although I don't think I would buy it new on DVD - I would pick it up used.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm ... I decided not to watch the movie based on the other reviews I read. Now, I'm wondering if maybe I missed a good thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete