Thursday, June 16, 2011

Things I've noticed: Sometimes you can overthink a video game

For the last two weekends I've been playing my newest game for the PS3 - Assasin's Creed. So far I'm loving the graphics, but I've got to say, somewhere down the line someone really over-thought this game.


The game suffers from having a number of early drawn-out cut scenes which focus entirely on exposition. There are a lot of these, and they go on for minutes. In my current favourite PS3 games, Katamari Forever, Brutal Legend and Little Big Planet, you actually get to play the game in the first half hour of game play, in this game, you get to spend a lot of time watching the cut scenes.



Next up, the game has a bizarre game-within-a-game set-up, you play some guy who is strapped into an Avatar-style bed which allows him to play around as an ancestor of his who happened to be an assassin in the middle ages. This seems needlessly complicated to me. Why can't you just play the assassin and cut out all of these strange cut scenes focusing on the modern-day guy. It's not like in Super Mario Brothers you play a guy who is strapped into a machine so he can play a plumber looking for a princess - that would be ridiculous! But that is exactly what this game has you do.



Finally (and this may change as I continue to play through the game) the open ended nature of the game, when it finally lets you start playing seems really vague. so far I've wandered around climbing towers and jumping off of them. That's about it, plus I've killed a couple guys and had some practice riding a horse. If I can't figure out what to do next by the weekend, I'll find a walkthrough online to give me some tips, but considering I'm only a couple hours into the game, this seems pretty strange to me.



At this point, I'm mostly playing the game because I've heard the sequels are great and secondly, as I spent $8 for this game I'd like to get some good play-time out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment