Saturday, February 27, 2016

Movie Review: Spotlight

Of the eight films nominated for Best Picture at this year's Oscars, Spotlight was the one I knew the least about going in.  I was aware of the original story, but I hadn't seen any of the trailers or advertising, so I went in about as cold as I'm likely to with a movie I've gone to see.

 Nominated for six awards, Spotlight follows the deep investigation team at the Boston Globe in the early 2000's as they uncovered and reported on the child abuse scandal in the Boston Archdiocese which opened up the topic for much of the world and ended up getting the series of articles a Pullitzer for public service.

The story, considering it largely takes place in offices with people reading and/or talking on phones, moves a a really great pace, and the acting is pretty amazing.  Having just one more Best Picture nomination to see, I feel pretty confident in saying Mark Ruffalo definitely deserves the Best Supporting Actor award for his work in the film.

A really great movie, and one I'm likely to see again.

No comments:

Post a Comment