Sunday, June 20, 2010

Movie Review: The A-Team

My two lovely daughters took me to see the film The A-Team for Father's Day, and when I think about a review of this film all I can say is:


ActionactionactionactionactionactionBOOM!

ActionactionactionactionactionactionBOOM!!

ActionactionactionactionactionactionBOOM!!!

Unlike my poor friend Mike (who re-watched The A-Team and Greatest American Hero as an adult and found them both not-quite-as-good as he remembered them), I watched the A-Team as it aired from '83 to '88 (I would have been ages ages seven to twelve), and haven't seen it since, so I remember it as one of the best action series ever to have run on television.

The movie was pretty simple, it was both an origin story and basically explained how the team ends up in the position they started in for the television series.

The action sequences were fantastic and I've got to say that some of them simply blew me away. This film is an excellent example of what I call a popcorn movie - a film that is excellent to enjoy with a big bowl of popcorn as a summer matinee.

All four leads were great - having seen Liam Neeson as an action star in Taken, Bradley Cooper doing comedy in both The Hangover and Nip/Tuck, and Sharlto Copley doing wonderful in District 9, the only actor who I wasn't familiar with was Quinton "Rampage" Jackson as B.A. Baracus, and you know what? I really liked him too.

The movie had more than a few nods towards the original series (in both music and cameos - definitely stick around until after the credits!), and I was happy that my years of watching Star Trek had a small payoff as well.

This movie was really, really fun, and in the end, what else to you want from an action film?

1 comment: