Sunday, June 13, 2010

Movie Review: Splice

On Saturday I checked out the film Splice and I had a pretty fun time - The reasons were pretty simple:

1) Canadian production
2) Directed by Vincenzo Natali (who made my last favourite Canadian horror flick - Cube)
3) Wasn't the opening week, which is important to me as I hate sharing a movie theatre with other people; my friends and family sure, a hundred other people who bathe in perfume or wish to share the AXE effect with me - no thanks.

The theatre had a grand total of five people in it; which is just about perfect and here's what I've got to say about the film itself; it was pretty cool! A modern-day take on the classic Frankenstein story, with human cloning thrown in and willing to go places I definitely was not expecting.

I love watching these kind of movies with my BFF Mike as he loves SF and I love horror, and therefore usually I can blame his genre for everything that goes wrong in the events of the film.

Bookmonkey: Would there even be a monster if those scientists hadn't gotten so uppity?

BFF Mike: ...

Bookmonkey: (While shaking his fist in the air) SCIENTISTS!?!

The actors were great, I like both Sarah Polley and Adrien Brody and neither disappointed here, the visuals were very cool, and the actress who played the adult version of the creature was very effective.

I had a lot of fun - this film gets a big recommend from me.

My only complaint was with the trailers - Twilight Saga: Eclipse (although I'm not a fan I guess I can see why they put it here), and then a collection of comedy films - where were my horror trailers before my horror movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment