Sunday, April 3, 2011

Book Review: Infected

How far would you be willing to go to stop an alien invasion? What would you do to protect yourself and your loved ones? Before I read this book, I assumed I would do a lot - that when it came to a truly horrible situation, I would go farther than most people.

Then I read this book. The main character, Perry Dawes put me to shame. This guy does everything he can to stop an alien takeover, and I mean everything.

The book was a podcast originally - and to be fair, I wonder if I had experienced it radio-play-style, if it would have worked better for me.

The gist of the story is, alien microbes attack Earth, making the infected sick and strange triangle-shaped growths begin to cover their bodies. The majority of the story follows one infected man in his apartment dealing with this strange, horrific condition.

Although the book didn't work out great for me (I found the majority of secondary characters to be very two-dimensional), the core story, of Perry in his apartment, was visceral and effective.

In the end I don't feel I can recommend the book, but I would definitely give the podcast a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment