Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Genre Character of the Week:President Coriolanus Snow

It's tricky to do a write up of a charater that involves major spoilers for a currently popular series, but you know what? I'm going to give it a shot. This week's genre character is also one of my current contendors for YA villain of the '00s, President Coriolanus Snow.

I started reading the Hunger Games series this month for two reasons: 1)Both my wife and younger daughter had read them and said that the series was right up my alley, and 2) It was a selection for one of my book clubs. Part of why I chose the character is that he only has a brief appearance in my book club selection (The Hunger Games), so while I speak about him, I'm not going to end up exhausting everything I want to say about the first book.

President Snow is in charge of a future North American nation called Panem. He rules from the Capital over twelve disctricts that provide the nation with food and resources. Also every year he oversees a contest/punishment called The Hunger Games, wherein two kids from each district (ages 12 - 18) are chosen to particiate in a tournament where they fight eachother to the death.

Not having a speaking role until the second book in the series, President Snow is evil in a way that brings obvious comparisons to Star Wars' Emperor Palpetine - a thirst for power and an overall creepy guy.

Just to be clear, the President is an incredibly effective villain for the series, but not the kind of genre character I'd like to visit with. If you haven't checked out this series yet I strongly recommend it. My review of the first book will be up next Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment