Sunday, April 7, 2013

Movie Review: Evil Dead

This weekend I decided to take a small break from my schoolwork and check out the new film Evil Dead.

My opinion is a little mixed.

First the good - the special effects are pretty darn amazing; by staying away from computer generated effects the imagery looks raw, and honestly, much more realistic.  Also it's very gruesome, so maybe not a film for the kids or the faint hearted.  The acting is well done, and a special notice goes to lead Jane Levy as she brings a really great vulnerability to the role.

All right, the questionable - there is a Bruce Campbell cameo, but it's pretty strange.  I'm a huge fan of him, but I wish they had found a more constructive way to put him in the film.

Finally the bad - this movie sort of felt unnecessary.  Last year the film The Cabin in the Woods, covered much of the same territory, and even without the official Evil Dead name to it, it just made a terrific kids at the spooky cabin film.  This movie does everything it needs to do, but in the end, The Evil Dead did all of this back in 1981.

I don't think I'll add this to my DVD collection, but if my local library gets it I may check it out to see the behind the scenes stuff and check out the commentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment