Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Book review: My Best Friend's Exorcism

So every couple of weeks I swing through my local bookstore and add titles to my ever-increasing to-read list, and then about once a month I see how many of these books I can get at my local library. Sometimes, the newest books happen to be available without the 300-person hold queue in front and I get to try out an new author in one of my favourite genres.

Which brings me to the horror novel, My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix (author of 2014s Horrorstör - which is still sitting on my to-read list), a delightfully horrifying story of the demonic possession of a high school girl in the late eighties, and her best friends attempts to help.

Now, as a horror fan who was ages 4-14 during that decade, I'm clearly a little biased, but to be fair, too much nostalgia can be a little overwhelming and I thought this book did an incredibly excellent job of telling the story of two best friends from ages ten to sixteen and made for a really interesting look at their relationships with each other and their parents.

Yes the book is a horror novel, so there are sequences that will upset some readers, but honestly, I found the characters engaging, the story believable, and I was rooting for their success the whole way through.

An excellent read, and one that will lead me to other works by this author.

A lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment