Monday, July 4, 2016

Book Review: Working the Dead Beat, by Sandra Martin

Not since reading Twilight on the bus to work have I had such a polarizing response to a book I've read, (and as a fan of horror fiction, I've read some pretty horrifying stuff), but whenever people asked what my latest read, Working the Dead Beat: 50 Lives that Changed Canada, by Globe and Mail columnist Sandra Martin, is a collection of fifty obituaries, written for Influential Canadians who passed between the years of 2000 and 2010.

The collection spans Canadians from all walks of life, and once you get past the morbidity of spending a few days reading obituaries, it was actually a pretty fascinating read. I read it as a book club selection and was quite impressed at just how immersive an experience it was into the lives of some pretty impressive Canadian figures.

Well worth the look.

No comments:

Post a Comment