Friday, October 1, 2010

Twilight of Bookmonkey: Day One

All right, here goes... Chapter One.

“My Mother drove me to the airport with the windows rolled down.” As far as a first sentence goes, it does the job – I know the story will be from a first person perspective, that the narrator is going on a trip, probably without her mother, and that wherever she is leaving from has a nice enough climate to drive with the windows down.

The start of a new series is always pretty exciting to me, even though it would be fair to say I have a number of preconceived notions regarding this particular series. I guess I should start things off by stating them:

1) I’ve never read any of these books before, but I did see the first movie in theatres when it came out (I’ve always told my kids that I would pay for their movie tickets if they read the source material first).

2) I have not been living under a rock for the last five years, I’m aware of the series, it’s popularity and many of the major plot points

3) Both of my kids went through phases where they liked the series, and then abruptly decided they didn’t like it any more (also they both seemed to hate the main character from the start)

4) My wife is a saint for putting up with me focusing on the Twilight Saga for the next month

As I’m only on the first page so far, I don’t have much else to say. Thanks to my BFF Mike for the new “Wisdom of Bookmonkey” banner art.

Oh yeah, obviously the Twilight-Saga based posts throughout the following month are my own opinion, biased by my experience and taste, but I will do my best to give the series a fair shake.

Alright, on to sentence #2... (And yes I know that the first sentence was technically either the Bible quote or the bit in the preface about dying, but I had more to say about the beginning of Chapter One.) and look at that – she was from Arizona – I called it!

No comments:

Post a Comment