Sunday, January 30, 2011

Series Review: Todd and the Book of Pure Evil

Ever since I read my BFF Mike's review of this Canadian-made Horror-Comedy series, I've been meaning to give it a try, and as the entire series aired in a marathon format on January 3, I recorded it and then checked it out.

Todd and the Book of Pure Evil follows the adventures of young Todd Smith, who one day discovers the book of Pure Evil, unleashes its horrors upon his school, and spend the next thirteen episodes attempting to stop the book from killing most of the students and more than a few of the teachers in any number of disgusting ways (a quick word to the wise, the deaths range from funny to stomach churning - you have been warned). To do this he enlists the aid of his best friend Curtis, his crush Jenny and the girl crushing on him, Hannah. Finally, filling the Giles role of this Scooby-Squad is Guidance Counsellor Atticus Murphy, Jr., who definitely has some secrets (and an increasingly terrifying back story) of his own.

When I first started watching the series, I was confused about the lack of language - everyone appeared to be swearing but they were all using grade-school versions of swears. After complaining about this to Mike, I was promptly given his copy of the show, which includes all the original language.

In the end the show is kind of a low-budget, foul mouthed, disgustingly bloody version of Buffy the Vampire slayer, but with significantly more Heavy Metal influence. It really appealed to my inner-fourteen-year-old. I hope it comes back for a second season.

No comments:

Post a Comment