Thursday, January 20, 2011

Things I've noticed: Blu-Ray Discs are a slippery slope


Like many of my friends, I got into purchasing movies in the ‘90s. VHS tapes were pretty cool, they let me watch and re-watch my favourite films and as the price came down I got to get a pretty sizable collection. The problem came in the late ‘00s as my family switched from VHS tapes to DVDs.

Basically we have spent the last five years re-purchasing the films we had on VHS and adding a few more to our collection. As I purchased a PS3 last year, I have suddenly gotten access to Blu-Ray discs and have already begun purchasing movies in the new format. I currently have six – Black Dynamite, Big Trouble in Little China, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, Gremlins, The Goonies and The Back to the Future Trilogy (yes I know that last one is actually three movies, but bear with me). Currently all of these films can be described in one way – awesome. I suppose the best way to describe them is that they are the movies I would always happily watch with friends and list as some of my favourite films. The problem is, where do I stop?

I got Big Trouble in Little China as it was one of the few films I purchased in VHS and never got in DVD format – mostly to see what the big deal was with a Blu-Ray disc (the difference is very noticeable), Then I got Black Dynamite out of a remainder bin at my local grocery store for $6 (the movie is awesome, and I would have eventually bought it on DVD, but the price was so nice), and the other four films were Christmas presents.

My question is now, where do I draw the line? Do I simply switch from DVD to Blu-Ray purchases now? Do I attempt to keep my Blu-Ray collection as one that can only be described as awesome? If I do that, shouldn’t I look at weeding less-than-awesome titles out of my DVD collection? I’m just not sure – I do like that the cases for Blu-Ray discs are smaller, but for a lot of films the fancy high-def quality doesn’t make a lot of difference. So I’m now kind of stuck at a crossroads – which movies will get the Blu-Ray treatment and which will be exiled into DVD-land? My PS3 does still play DVDs, so there’s no current problem with backwards compatibility, but I’m still not sure what to do?

How about the rest of you? Any Blu-Ray solutions out there that might help me?

No comments:

Post a Comment