Thursday, September 22, 2011

Things I've Noticed: The Ladies love The Mists of Avalon

One of my favourite parts of commuting to work is that I get some extra time for reading; both on the buses and trains I take as well as at the bus stops while I’m waiting (my commute is both strange and interesting), and I love when people approach me to talk about whatever it is I’m currently reading.

Last year while I read the Twilight series for my October posts, there were a lot of comments, but most of them went along the lines of,

“Hey, check that guy out – he’s reading Twilight!”

Or

“Doesn’t that guy realize that only little girls read Twilight?” (The Team Edward backpack my BFF Mike leant me probably didn’t help).

Currently I’m reading The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley (a 1983 novel which tells Arthurian legend from the point of view of the women in the story) and I can honestly say I haven’t had this positive response to whatever I’m reading for quite a while.

With the exception of one ride, I have been approached by at least one woman per bus trip I’ve taken to work or school (eight trips so far this week), who will ask me how I’m liking the book so far, if I’m aware of the many prequels and sequels and whether I have seen the 2001 TV mini-series adaptation.

I’m not complaining about the attention (and yes, my lovely wife, I make sure to mention you in my first reply, for example, “Yes, I am enjoying the book; my wife, the apple of my eye, my one and only, and the mother of my children, has been telling me to read this story for years!), but it is pretty impressive to me that a book that is currently creeping up on thirty years since it was published still gets this level of attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment