Sunday, May 1, 2011

Book Review: The Hunger Games

For one of my book clubs last month I read the novel The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, the reason being threefold: 1) Both my wife and younger daughter had read it and said it was up my alley, 2) Dystopian fiction is on of my favourite sub-genres of Science Fiction, and 3) I didn't want to be as far behind in pop culture as I was when I got around to reading Twilight.

The premise of the book is pretty simple - every year 24 kids from around the world are put in an arena and forced to fight each other to the death - for TV ratings. The book follows one of these kids, a girl named Katniss Everdeen, as she is entered into this bloody event.

Here are the top 3 reasons why you should read this book:

3) Next year there will be a movie adaption coming out, and everyone you know from the kids to the ladies you work with will be talking about it, and you might like to know what the heck they are talking about.

2) The book is YA (Young Adults) so it won't take a lot of your time to read.

1) The book is compulsively readable - this goes for the sequels as well. I got intrigued pretty quickly by this story and then had a lot of difficulty putting it down.

1 comment:

  1. I recently read this one for my book club-public library,gotta love it!-and then had to get my son pick up the last two that very night on his way home from a music lesson at the mall. I was so surprised at how good it was!

    ReplyDelete