Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Genre Character of the Week: Charlie Bucket

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl sits pretty high on my list of favourite fantasy novels, favourite young adult novels, and possibly favourite novels.

The reason is two-fold; first,  Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is the very first book I can remember reading and re-reading at my elementary school library, specifically the chapter where (mild 48-year-old spoiler) Charlie finds the golden ticket and is able to visit the Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory.  In terms of showing a young bookmonkey exactly how affecting a book can be, this one sits pretty much on top of the list (right up there with The Hobbit and Charlotte's Web - but it'll be a while before I talk about either of those as the first has a convenient movie coming out I can tie a post to and the second still gets me a little weepy when I think about it), and second, Charlie Bucket is such a nice kid, I'm making him our Genre Character of the Week.

Here's what I like about Charlie, he's honest, giving and sincere.

Seriously, that's pretty much it - he's a nice kid who takes the feelings of others into account and in the end of the book those qualities help him to pass Wonka's various tests and ends up being trained to take over the factory after Wonka retires.

Sometimes it's nice when the good kids finish first.

No comments:

Post a Comment