Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Genre Character of the Week: Tommy Jarvis


As a kid, I was a pretty big fan of the slash films of the late '70s and early '80s.  Maybe it was because I grew up in a house filled with women and wanted something I could claim was my own, maybe I just liked scary movies - regardless, before I finished high school I had done multiple marathon showings of all of the Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th films.  Although the Elm Street movies were always my favourite in terms of concept and the monster, my favourite good guy in any of the films was Tommy Jarvis, from Friday the 13th Part IV, V, and VI, but mostly from part four, when he was played by Corey Feldman(pictured right).

Here’s what I like about Tommy; he’s pretty much the perfect person to go up against Jason.  Unlike the crowds of soon-to-be dead teenagers who generally end up fighting and then getting killed by Jason, Tommy is a little kid, and when it comes to fighting a giant zombie-like killing machine, you don’t want soldiers, or police or jocks, you want a small child who can figure out how best to defeat the creature you are up against.

To be fair, I'm a little scared of revisiting any of the horror franchises from my youth, as they were pretty light on story, and pretty heavy on shock and gore.  But for some reason, the idea of beating an unstoppable zombie (although they later try to state that Jason was a demonically possessed person) with little kid psychology just really stuck with me.

Although as a character, Tommy returns in both part V and part VI - for me it will always be the youngest Tommy who was the coolest.

No comments:

Post a Comment