Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Oh Anne - How could they?

As a guy I admit that I didn’t grow up reading a lot of books featuring girls as main characters.  But one of the few I read wasAnne of Green Gables, by Lucy Maude Montgomery.  The book (if you’ve never heard of it) is a classic of Canadian literature, and tells the story of a young red-headed orphan girl named Anne Shirley, who is sent to the farm of Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert to stay – only they had asked for a boy.


Honestly this book is one of the sweetest pieces of literature I’ve ever come across and even though I’m a guy, I hold that story and it’s characters pretty dear to my heart.

So then this happened today.
Yup – an American publishing company decided that what Anne really needed was a makeover, lets make her blonde, about ten years older and posed like a pinup – also lets forget the story is set in the early 1900s in Prince Edward Island, Canada so she can wear some less appropriate clothing as well.

Honestly, I don’t really have much to say – I guess I kind of feel bad for the model in this new cover, as many of the twitter and posting comments about the new cover image get pretty personal, pretty fast.

Check out the story here.

No comments:

Post a Comment