Thursday, December 9, 2010

Bookmonkey's top 5 Genre Films of 2010

After a year of watching new genre films and blogging about them, I think it’s about time to look back at my favourite genre flicks I saw this year. And yes, if you’re like my BFF Mike, you wouldn’t even make this listing until after next week when Tron Legacy comes out, but regardless of how good that film might be it is not going to beat my current top five.

*Quick side note – I have linked each of these to my full reviews, today’s list simply states why these films are on my year-end favourites list.

Because it had the most disgusting explanation of the butterfly effect (or if you will the vomit-covered squirrel effect) I’ve ever seen.

Because ever since Dreamscape, I’ve been a huge fan of the film within a dream film (within a dream?)

Because darn it, I like my classic mythology being used in film. Although I enjoyed the Clash of the Titans reboot as well, this one stood out because it figured out how to mix product placement with defeating the Medusa.

Because in a whole lot of ways, I felt this movie was made specifically for me. The fact that the rest of you like it is just a bonus.

Because it shows that Horror + Canada = Awesome

Next year’s crop of films looks pretty good from where I’m sitting, with X-Men: First Class, The First Avenger: Captain America, The Green Hornet, Green Lantern and Thor already topping my must-see list.

Special Mentions: The A-Team, The Book of Eli, and Machete for sheer awesomeness. Also the best film I saw on DVD this year, Black Dynamite.

1 comment:

  1. The only one I watched on your list was Percy Jackson. :-)

    While I liked it a lot, I loved the book more.

    ReplyDelete